Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Message de morenita posté le 2004-12-11 16:18:08 (S | E | F | I)
Hi everyone!
I m back with another riddle,but this one was written by Einstein during the 19th cent!yes it was and only 2% of the world could solve it!!!!
Actually it s not difficult,you just need to pay attention & be patient!

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage.
The question is: Who owns the fish?

Hints:

The Brit lives in the red house.
The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
The Dane drinks tea.
The green house is on the left of the white house.
The green homeowner drinks coffee.
The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
The man living in the center house drinks milk.
The Norwegian lives in the first house.
The man who smokes Blend lives next to the one who keeps cats.
The man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer.
The German smokes prince.
The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.
SO CAN YOU KNOW WHO OWNS THE FISH??
Wish you luck

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de serena, postée le 2004-12-12 14:25:23 (S | E)
Well, we're not einstein morenita !

Just give me time to think, and I'll be back ! ..... maybe.

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de morenita, postée le 2004-12-12 16:20:14 (S | E)
well,Serena,Einstein has written it to give people the opportunity to test their intelligence ,so go ahead and test yours
you have just to find the starting-point...then everything will be clear & easy!got what I mean?
see you soon (hope so )

-------------------
Edité par bridg le 12-12-2004 20:02

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de vmg, postée le 2004-12-12 19:22:15 (S | E)
I have just printed the riddle, I am going to work on it right now !

Be patient !

Vmg

-------------------
Edité par vmg le 2004-12-13 18:28:40

Réponse: jill de jill, postée le 2004-12-12 21:06:22 (S | E)
nobody owns the fish, it's in the ocean.

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de domi68, postée le 2004-12-12 23:17:53 (S | E)
good evening

Thank you for this game.
Is the German the owner of the fish ?

My deductions :
house 1 :Norvegian-yellow-cat-water-Dunhill
house 2 : Dane-blue-horse-tea-Blend
house 3 : Britain-red-birds-milk-Pallmalls
house 4 : German-...-coffee-Prince
house 5 : Sweden-white-dog-beer-Bluemaster
I have found any pet for the German...than I suppose that German is the owner of the fish.
It's not easy to answer because if I have totally wrong, I'd feel me stupid...but not totally because I can change my nickname

Thank you

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de marie37400, postée le 2004-12-13 00:07:21 (S | E)
Coucou ! Bon il est 23 h 58 et bravo à DOMI , really faster than I am !!!
But I'll suggest you the same answer, ie : GERMAN.
I'll just add 'green' for his house.
Waou !!!! Morenita, it is not possible that only two percent of the world population can solve it, because it would mean just the MENSA population and I'm very very far away from them !!
Many thanks, Morenita, I enyoyed it a lot !!
Marie

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de serena, postée le 2004-12-13 00:42:40 (S | E)
Hi there !

Marie, if I'm also right, then you'll be able to say WE are not very far from the 2% who found this riddle. As I found the same answer. Let's give details :

N°1 Norwegian : water - dunhill - yellow - cat.
N°2 Dane : tea - blends - blue - horses.
N°3 British : milk - pall mall - red - birds.
N°4 German : coffee - prince - green - fish.
N°5 Swede : beer - bluemast - white - dogs.

Well, you won't believe morenita, but you made me go back to maths. I had to make some calculations of probability + statistics + + + solid geometry + + = the german ! ....

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de serena, postée le 2004-12-13 00:44:00 (S | E)
( I clicked twice to send the same message. Then second one deleted )

-------------------
Edité par serena le 2004-12-13 00:46:43

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de morenita, postée le 2004-12-13 12:15:13 (S | E)
Domi you dont need to change your nickname , Marie & Serena!excellent you've found it out! but there is still something you must do:giving explanation!
How could you find it out????I mean,what was your starting point?Actually, it had taken me 3 hours to solve it ,what about you? (yea serena you must go back to maths and eveything )
"just 2% of the world could solve this riddle" ,that was what Einstein said but he didnt know that there is very intelligent pple in "anglaisfacile"

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de vmg, postée le 2004-12-13 20:05:15 (S | E)

I have spent such a long time working on it ! I am not at all a mathematician....

If the fish doesn't belong to the German ...I don't know what I am going to do !!!!!

I must go to bed now

Throw your book away Morenita !

Vmg

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de serena, postée le 2004-12-15 01:07:18 (S | E)
Marie, Domi and I, we're !!!!

Really, I can't tell you how much time it took me, I didn't work on it hours in a row. But to make you happy morenita, it bothered me whatever I did, wherever I went.
And it'll be very long to give the explanations. I did draw and calculate things I could understand myself only, until I had a and a clear !

Then, Einstein must be turning in his grave now ! He underestimated the treasures which were going to exist in ToLearnEnglish.

morenita !

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de morenita, postée le 2004-12-15 13:29:03 (S | E)
You're welcome serena!I m sure that you have a headache now
Vmg dont be so mad!and guess what ,I m not gonna throw my book away ,I like to tease the other's brains

Réponse: re:are you clever 2> Explanation de andreas00032, postée le 2004-12-17 00:00:17 (S | E)
Hello guys,

I'll try to give a little explanation, just to show that it is possible to find out every thing just by deduction.

1. The first house definitely belongs to the Norwegian
2. The second house is necessarily blue
3. The owner of the third house drinks milk
4. Now it's getting a little harder: the green house owner drinks coffee; his house must be on the left of the white house: to do so, it has to be on the 4th place (because the central house owner drinks milk) and therefore, the white house will be on the fifth place... See??

From there on, you don't have many possibilities to try out... it's not hard to find out the last few matches.

It took me approx. 20-25 min. I think that people who are dwelling on this longer are not less intelligent; they just try to put maths and other plans and drawings there where they aren't necessary...it is all about logic!

I am still searching for some english speaking fellows somewhere in the surroundings...so don't hesitate to write!

Greetings to the 2 percent of the world who are now living with the conviction to be such outstandingly intelligent persons... :-)

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de morenita, postée le 2004-12-17 14:14:37 (S | E)
Welcome Andreas!!!!!!! I know i m not intellignet enough to find it out in 20 min
I liked ur explanation and ur right,as u find the 3 first steps u have no prob later...actually i have drawn a table and started with looking for houses' colors and then eveything was getting clear!
you really searching for pple who wanna speak in english(just in english )? here I m !actually i m weak in english but wanna improve it ,you can write to me whenever you feel like to you're

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de skreo, postée le 2005-01-05 14:24:45 (S | E)
the german owns the fish

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de bobbyker, postée le 2005-01-05 15:47:20 (S | E)
Here is my proposal for anyone to solve this quizz.

Draw 5 squares that represent the houses. Draw them large enough to be able to fill in each square:
- the colour,
- the nationality,
- the beverage,
- the brand
- and finaly, the pet.

Now I have re ordered the clues so that you are able to fill them in step by step.

1) The Norwegian lives in the first house.
2) The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
3) The man living in the center house drinks milk.
4) The green house is on the left of the white house.
For this one, only one possibility =>4th and 5th squares
5) The green homeowner drinks coffee.
6) The Brit lives in the red house.
2 houses are still colorless (1st and 3rd squares), and it can not be the first (owned by the norwegian)
7) The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
Now only one house is colourless.
8) The man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
You now know who is smoking Dunhill.
9) The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.
At this point, 2 solutions are possible :
either the blend smoker lives in the Green house, and the water drinker lives in the white ones (let’s call it S1),
or the blend smoker lives in the Blue house, and the water drinker lives in the Yellow house (let’s call it S2).
10) The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer
According to S1, only Blue house is compliant with this sentence (it’s the only square that remains without a brand and a Beverage filled in)
According to S2, Only White house fits this hint (for the same reason than before).
The two solutions remain possible at this point.
11) The Dane drinks tea.
Ah ah! Interesting! According to solution S1, the only square which does not contain a beverage belongs to a Norwegian. Oooops! S1 seems to be a dead-end!
On the other hand, S2 perfectly fits the hint: for the blue house, we still don’t know neither the nationality nor the beverage. Okay! Blue belongs to the dane and drinks tea!
12) The German smokes prince.
Now it’s much more easier. The german can only live in the Green house.
13) The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
Only red can smoke Pall Mall.
14) The man who smokes Blend lives next to the one who keeps cats
We know who is smoking Blend and what king of pet is owned by one of his neighbour . And, thank’s god, it’s not cats ( )
15) The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
Who can be Swedish?

Now all the squares are filled in with the data. It inly remains a blank in the green house. By chance (but is it only by chance?), the riddle to be solved fits this lacking data.

Now you know the way to the solution, you can enjoy asking this riddle to anyone around you! Have fun!

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de morenita, postée le 2005-01-09 17:31:48 (S | E)
just a great explanation

Réponse: re:are you clever 2 de domi68, postée le 2005-01-11 22:11:43 (S | E)
Good evening

I'm really happy to learn that I don't need to change my nickname.
Now I'm Domi the Clever...how many time do I dispose to prove that I'm also cultured ?

Thank you

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux