Cours d'anglais gratuitsRecevoir 1 leçon gratuite chaque semaine // Créer un test
Connectez-vous !

Cliquez ici pour vous connecter
Nouveau compte
Des millions de comptes créés.

100% gratuit !
[Avantages]

Comme des milliers de personnes, recevez gratuitement chaque semaine une leçon d'anglais !

- Accueil
- Aide/Contact
- Accès rapides
- Lire cet extrait
- Livre d'or
- Nouveautés
- Plan du site
- Presse
- Recommander
- Signaler un bug
- Traduire cet extrait
- Webmasters
- Lien sur votre site

> Nos sites :
-Jeux gratuits
-Nos autres sites

<< Retour au forum

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

Message de alexgowes posté le 2004-12-31 00:09:50 (S | E | F | I)
The following questions are from a national exam in the U.S.A. for students who want to go to university. It's a test of English writing skills. Choose the best response to replace the words in bold. If you think the words in bold are already correct, choose option (A)

1. Since their readers often assume that journalists are objective and truthful, do journalists have a responsibility that other writers do not?
(A) that other writers do not
(B) that writers lack who are not journalists
(C) lacking in others who are writing
(D) not had by those who write differently
(E) when other writers have not

2. The young composer, turning out countless jingles for short-lived television commercials, and tormented by her sense of isolation from serious music.
(A) commercials, and tormented by
(B) commercials, tormented by
(C) commercials, was tormented by
(D) commercials; she found torment in
(E) commercials; she was tormented by

3. In 1922 African-American educator Anna Julia Cooper earned a doctorate at sixty-six, and this is when most people consider retirement.
(A) and this is when most people consider retirement
(B) an age at which most people consider retirement
(C) and by then most people consider retirement
(D) considered by most people for being an age for retirement
(E) which is considered retirement by most people

4. The earliest known encyclopedia still in existence being the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman who lived almost two thousand years ago.

(A) being the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman who
(B) being the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman and he
(C) is the work of Pliny the Elder, the one person who
(D) is the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman who
(E) is the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman and that

-------------------
Edité par bridg le 31-12-2004 00:30
English only

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de rockpoetry, postée le 2004-12-31 16:19:27 (S | E)
ok, let's try...

1. Since their readers often assume that journalists are objective and truthful, do journalists have a responsibility that other writers do not?
(A) that other writers do not

2. The young composer, turning out countless jingles for short-lived television commercials, was tormented by her sense of isolation from serious music.
(C) commercials, was tormented by

3. In 1922 African-American educator Anna Julia Cooper earned a doctorate at sixty-six, an age at which most people consider retirement.
(B) an age at which most people consider retirement

4. The earliest known encyclopedia still in existence is the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman who lived almost two thousand years ago.
(D) is the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman who (j'avais dit (B) mais finalement, je pense à D aussi)

-------------------
Edité par rockpoetry le 2005-01-01 13:31:39

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de willy, postée le 2004-12-31 18:48:23 (S | E)
Here are my answers :

1 + A

2 + C

3 + B

4 + D

I wish you all a happy new year !

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de carobd, postée le 2004-12-31 19:00:15 (S | E)
1) A
2) C
3) B
4) D

So do I!!

-------------------
Edité par carobd le 2004-12-31 19:01:30

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de alexgowes, postée le 2005-01-03 03:50:52 (S | E)
Good work, all who responded! You have the correct answers.

1. (A) Since their readers often assume that journalists are objective and truthful, do journalists have a responsibility that other writers do not?

2. (C) The young composer, turning out countless jingles for short-lived television commercials, was tormented by her sense of isolation from serious music.

3. (B) In 1922 African-American educator Anna Julia Cooper earned a doctorate at sixty-six, an age at which most people consider retirement.

4. (D) The earliest known encyclopedia still in existence is the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman who lived almost two thousand years ago.

-------------------
Edité par alexgowes le 2005-01-03 03:53:42

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de berichard, postée le 2005-01-03 17:08:44 (S | E)
sorry
I had written French

-------------------
Edité par berichard le 2005-01-04 13:30:01

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de alexgowes, postée le 2005-01-03 17:57:49 (S | E)
Berichard, vous avez raison.

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de willy, postée le 2005-01-03 18:38:11 (S | E)
How is it possible to ask such easy questions ? You ought to be able to answer them when leaving the elementary school !

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de carobd, postée le 2005-01-03 19:49:33 (S | E)
I don't agree with you , I can tell you that most of children

leaving the primary school are not able to make a correct sentence!!!

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de alexgowes, postée le 2005-01-03 20:02:26 (S | E)
Willy, I agree with you. Of course the best students will score 100%, but there are plenty of children whose English writing is relatively weak. They are native speakers, but they don't always write formal, gramatically correct English. I'm sure one would find the same situation in many other countries.

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de willy, postée le 2005-01-03 21:11:54 (S | E)
Of course ! You're quite right, alexgowes. I've read lots of articles about that topic : the situation is getting worse everywhere.
That's why I wrote " ought to be able" : it's their duty, which doesn't mean they are able to do so !

Carobd : do you really mean it when you say most of them just can't write correct sentences ?

-------------------
Edité par willy le 2005-01-03 21:14:49

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de carobd, postée le 2005-01-03 22:12:26 (S | E)
To Billy:

I think there is a misunderstanding, I speak about french pupils, I

don't know English pupils. You don't believe me,????

It's really a pity I can't show you their copies .That is very simple:

They write just like they speak.

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de celbaz, postée le 2005-01-04 17:19:22 (S | E)
Hello Dear alexgowes : I have tried to do the exercice before reading the correct answers. I see that my answer in 3. is wrong, but I don't understand why !

1. Since their readers often assume that journalists are objective and truthful, do journalists have a responsibility (A) that other writers do not

2. The young composer, turning out countless jingles for short-lived television (C) commercials, was tormented by her sense of isolation from serious music.

3. In 1922 African-American educator Anna Julia Cooper earned a doctorate at sixty-six, (D) considered by most people for being an age for retirement

4. The earliest known encyclopedia still in existence (D) is the work of one person, Pliny the Elder, a Roman who lived almost two thousand years ago.

-------------------

Edité par celbaz le 2005-01-04 17:29:36

-------------------
Edité par celbaz le 2005-01-04 17:36:23

-------------------
Edité par celbaz le 2005-01-04 17:38:29

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de alexgowes, postée le 2005-01-04 18:01:02 (S | E)
3. In 1922 African-American educator Anna Julia Cooper earned a doctorate at sixty-six, considered by most people for being an age for retirement.

The preposition and verb are incorrect. "Considered [by most people] to be..." would be correct. There is also a slight ambiguity with the object of the word "considered" because 3 nouns are present in the first clause (i.e., Anna Julia Cooper, a doctorate, and 66). This ambiguity is resolved in the correct answer "...an age at which most people consider retirement).

However, as was discussed, many native English speakers would give answer (D), or at least would speak that way in conversation.

Réponse: re:Writing skills test de celbaz, postée le 2005-01-04 18:21:22 (S | E)

Thanks for the correction : the ambiguity would be the same in French !
If you know other exercices of this kind, the ones really used at school in your country, you are welcome !

CLIQUEZ ICI POUR REPONDRE A CE SUJET

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Une leçon par email par semaine | Exercices | Aide/Contact

> INSEREZ UN PEU D'ANGLAIS DANS VOTRE VIE QUOTIDIENNE ! Rejoignez-nous gratuitement sur les réseaux :
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | RSS | Linkedin | Email

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours de français | Cours de mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'italien | Cours d'allemand | Cours de néerlandais | Tests de culture générale | Cours de japonais | Rapidité au clavier | Cours de latin | Cours de provençal | Moteur de recherche sites éducatifs | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Our sites in English

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies.
| Cours, leçons et exercices d'anglais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès. | Livre d'or | Partager sur les réseaux