Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Obstacles / reading

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Obstacles / reading
Message from kobejames posted on 09-07-2017 at 05:16:28 (D | E | F)
Hello,
Well,it was this way.Nowadays,I read the book which is named of Jekyll and Hyde.And I had some questions to ask you.
The sentence in the text is like this:
 "Utterson, I swear to God,"cried the doctor, "I swear to God I will never set eyes on him again. I bind my honour to you that I am done with him in this world. It is all at an end. And indeed he does not want my help."
And Q1:What does "blind my honour to you" mean?
Q2:What does "I'm done with him" mean?

Dear friends,can you help me with this problem? I will wait for your answer online.And I will truly be grateful for your help.
Beg help!!!

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 09-07-2017 07:12

Re: Obstacles / reading from dsmith, posted on 09-07-2017 at 05:38:07 (D | E)
Hello,

To bind my honor to you...I have never seen that phrase before.

To bind is to tie together. A bookmaker binds a book by taking all the pages and sewing them together and putting a cover on it.

to bind...also means to compel or to constrain. I am bound to do my duty. Joining the army will bind my actions so that I must always obey my leader.

He is voluntarily saying he will commit that he will never see the man again.

I am done with him in this world. He will never have anything to do with that man. He said earlier that he "will never set eyes on him again" meaning he won't see him, won't be near enough to see him.

Re: Obstacles / reading from porkchops, posted on 09-07-2017 at 06:06:50 (D | E)
Hi, take a look at this....Link

Re: Obstacles / reading from camidra, posted on 09-07-2017 at 13:34:48 (D | E)
Hello (again !) kobejames

To bind you to something :

to force you to keep a promise.
to feel that you must do something because of your sense of moral duty.
to promise very seriously that you will do something.
to do what you have agreed or promised to do.

I bind my honour to you : I give you my word, I promise, I swear, I won't keep in touch with him. Trust me. I am a Man of Honour.

Hope it helps.
Enjoy your reading.

See you.
Camidra

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.