Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Video/script 1

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Video/script 1
Message de brettdallen posté le 08-05-2019 à 17:39:39 (S | E | F)
Hello everyone,
I was in the business of transcribing a video about Victorian workhouses and I came across a passage/sentence that I cannot understand. In the script it's the sentence written in italics. If you could tell me what you understand, that would be lovely. If some are really motivated, they can take a look at the rest and tell me whether I'm on the right track or not. Thanks.
Lien internet

You may think these scanvenging jobs, cigar end collecting, mud larking, bone picking were the worst and sure they were terrible but they weren’t the poorest. Below them were the very worst jobs, because the very destitute ended up here, in the workhouse. There were workhouses before the Victorian period but the Victorians took them a stage further. The new Poor Laws of 1834 made them even nastier than they had been. The whole point about the workhouse was that the jobs you did there had to be worse than anything outside. Even so in the 1850s there were 200,000 people in workhouses all over the country. For these people this was about as low as you could go. Once in it was very difficult to get out. Men were separated from women, the able-bodied from those less fit. And all the jobs were intended to punish you from being poor.

Interviewer : So the first job is what ?
Frances Collinson (Roots of Norflok) : The first job is stone breaking. Pretty nasty.
Interviewer : Archetypal punishment job, isn’t it ?
Frances Collinson : It really is, yes.
Interviewer : I can’t imagine that they would have had these at the workhouse.
Frances Collinson : They had those at the time, though.
Interviewer : So what d’you have to do, just hit the stone ?
Frances Collinson : You’ve got to hit that and you’ve got to break it into really really small pieces because the stone would have been used for mending roads.
Interviewer : Right. (He’s hitting a stone) Well, I didn’t do anything, really, it just smoked.
Frances Collinson : No, no, keep going.
Interviewer : Would everybody have had to do this job ?
Frances Collinson : No, not everybody. It was such an awful job.
Interviewer : Hey, yes !
Frances Collinson : The only the casuals the transfer. We’re given that.
Interviewer : I can understand that. They wouldn’t want to stay very long, would they ?
Frances Collinson : No. They would have done this for a day.
Interviewer : A day ?
Frances Collinson : Yeah, just for one day’s work.
Interviewer : But what would they get once having done it ?
Frances Collinson : Well, they’d get a bed for the night and a meal.
Interviewer : (breathing hard) They’re small enough ?
Frances Collinson : You need to get them all about this size.
Interviewer : Why is that ?
Frances Collinson : Because you’ve got to pass them through a mesh in the wall, a metal mesh in the wall of the stone breaking cell.
Interviewer : Why’s that ?
Frances Collinson : You’ve got to be small enough to be able to use in road building, and if they didn’t, if you couldn’t get them through the mesh then you had to break it again.
Interviewer : So I’ve got to get all this stuff, that’s it ?
Frances Collinson : Yeah.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 08-05-2019 22:39

Réponse : Video/script 1 de sherry48, postée le 08-05-2019 à 23:37:26 (S | E)
Hello. I had to listen several times but I think I finally got it. There are a few other minor corrections, but I don't guarantee that I didn't miss any.

You may think these scavenging jobs, cigar end collecting, mud larking, bone picking were the worst and sure they were terrible but they weren’t the poorest. Below them were the very worst jobs, because the very destitute ended up here, in the workhouse. There were workhouses before the Victorian period but the Victorians took them a stage further. The new Poor Laws of 1834 made them even nastier than they had been. The whole point about the workhouse was that the jobs you did there had to be worse than anything outside. Even so in the 1850s there were 200,000 people in workhouses all over the country. For these people this was about as low as you could go. Once in it was very difficult to get out. Men were separated from women, the able-bodied from those less fit. And all the jobs were intended to punish you for being poor.

Interviewer : So the first job is what ?
Frances Collinson (Roots of Norflok) : The first job is stone breaking. Pretty nasty.
Interviewer : Archetypal punishment job, isn’t it ?
Frances Collinson : It really is, yes.
Interviewer : I can’t imagine that they would have had these at the workhouse.
Frances Collinson : They wouldn't have had those at the time, no.
Interviewer : So what d’you have to do, just hit the stone ?
Frances Collinson : You’ve got to hit that and you’ve got to break it into really really small pieces because the stone would have been used for mending roads.
Interviewer : Right. (He’s hitting a stone) Well, it didn’t do anything, really, it just smoked.
Frances Collinson : No, no, keep going.
Interviewer : Would everybody have had to do this job ?
Frances Collinson : No, not everybody. It was such an awful job.
Interviewer : Hey, yes !
Frances Collinson : The only the casuals and tramps were given that.
Interviewer : I can understand that. They wouldn’t want to stay very long, would they ?
Frances Collinson : No. They would have done this for a day.
Interviewer : A day ?
Frances Collinson : Yeah, just for one day’s work.
Interviewer : But what would they get for having done it ?
Frances Collinson : Well, they’d get a bed for the night and a meal.
Interviewer : (breathing hard) They’re small enough ?
Frances Collinson : You need to get them all about this size.
Interviewer : Why is that ?
Frances Collinson : Because you’ve got to pass them through a mesh in the wall, a metal mesh in the wall of the stone breaking cell.
Interviewer : Why’s that ?
Frances Collinson : You’ve got to be small enough to be able to use in road building, and if they didn’t, if you couldn’t get them through the mesh then you had to break it again.
Interviewer : So I’ve got to get all this lot, that size ?
Frances Collinson : Yeah.
Good luck with the rest!
Sherry

Réponse : Video/script 1 de brettdallen, postée le 10-05-2019 à 13:11:14 (S | E)
Hello Sherry,

Thanks so much for correcting my mistakes. Now it's much clearer and, as usual, I wonder how I could have misunderstood some of these passages. Practice makes perfect, as they say!
Thanks and keep up with the good job.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.