Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Have to/question

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Have to/question
Message de wushu posté le 29-01-2013 à 12:52:52 (S | E | F)
Hello everybody,

I have got only one question please...
In my English book, there it is written "Modals are auxiliary verbs, we don't use "do" in the questions and the negatives"
So, why? in the following, there is an example with "have to" and "don't"...
Idea of no obligation:
I don't have to pay the invoice...
Is my example right?
"She hasn't to pay the invoice. "
Now, I'm doing review notes and I don't understand...
could you explain, please?
Thank you for your answers.
Antho.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 29-01-2013 12:59

Réponse: Have to/question de gerondif, postée le 29-01-2013 à 17:10:15 (S | E)
Hello,
it is true: modals don't use do, they are from the same family of auxiliaries:
Do you come on Mondays ?
Can you come on Mondays ?
Will you come on Mondays ?
Must you come on Mondays ?
Should you come on Mondays ?
Did you come on Mondays ?
Would you come on Mondays ?

"Have to" is a normal lexical verb REPLACING must when must can't accept the meaning or the tense:
I must come today.
I had to come yesterday.
I will have to come tomorrow.
I would have to come if they forced me to.

"Have" will use "do" like any other lexical verb:
Do you have to come on Mondays ? (external obligation)
Did you have to come last Monday ?

The meaning is different in the negative form:

You mustn't smoke in this room: it is forbidden.

You don't have to come tonight: the meeting is cancelled (non obligation: you are allowed not to come)

She doesn't have to pay the invoice: The insurance will take care of it.

Your example: "She hasn't to pay the invoice. " is either wrong for a purist, or very posh, high class, or Scottish!
In Scotland, I remember being asked "Have you the time?", which I would consider wrong normally, since you don't say "Like you tennis ?

For me "Have you" must be followed by "got" (present perfect)
How many brothers and sisters have you got // do you have ? (2 different verbs: to get and to have)

For me, old school, only auxiliary verbs accept and digest the negation not.
He can't come, won't come, doesn't come, didn't come, needn't come, daren't come, mustn't come, shouldn't come, etc...

Réponse: Have to/question de wushu, postée le 29-01-2013 à 19:38:09 (S | E)
All right,
thank you for all !
I'm going to do exercises, now !!
See you,
Antho.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.