Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

How'd that happen/aide

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

How'd that happen/aide
Message de hicks77 posté le 03-10-2013 à 22:41:10 (S | E | F)
Bonsoir,

J'aimerais un éclaircissement sur cette phrase svp s'il vous plaît.
Doit-on lire
How would that happen ou
how did that happen ?
Un grand merci.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 04-10-2013 08:27

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de violet91, postée le 03-10-2013 à 23:45:58 (S | E)
Hello ,

A vrai dire , les deux sont possibles (pas de contraction ici ...trop de confusion ) .
- How did that happen ? Si questionnement sur incident ou accident passé . C'est arrivé comment ?
- How would that happen ? ...si vous voulez questionner sur l'hypothétique .Comment cela arriverait-il , alors ?
Good night .

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de jonquille, postée le 04-10-2013 à 03:53:25 (S | E)
Hello!

My first reaction, if I were to see the question: "How'd that happen?" would be that something happened (past) and I want to know what or how it happened. (How did that happen?)

I don't think I'd ever think "how would".... (sorry violet91 )

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de hicks77, postée le 04-10-2013 à 10:58:23 (S | E)
Merci bien !!

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de violet91, postée le 04-10-2013 à 12:07:01 (S | E)
Hello jonquille

First , thanks for your diplomacy . You love writing and so do I . You are a native speaker , I am not .
Yet ... Close your eyes and imagine .., .then tell me if ( I should say whether here ) I am wrong : I don't mind as long as it is nicely said and clear .
Once upon a time ...
- The fortune -teller (or the psychotherapist ) : - Even if you say nothing bad can ever happen to you in the 'picture of yourself as a perfect driver ' ( can't be Dorian Gray all the time , can it ?! ), I am afraid I can see a tragic accident !
- The visitor and customer , the patient : - I beg your pardon ? What ? Who me ? How could I go through such a horrible thing ? And how would that happen ? Oh Gosh ! Let me know ! ( gently)

...." Une fourmi de dix -huit mètres avec un chapeau sur la tête ,
Ca n'existe pas , ça n'existe pas !
- Et pourquoi pas ? ' Robert Desnos , as you know .
How wouldn't such an ant exist ? Hey ? I guess you are going to prompt ' how couldn't ...' violet ! '

Looking forward to your answer ...

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de lucile83, postée le 04-10-2013 à 14:03:56 (S | E)
Hello,

Maybe we could say:
How could that happen? instead of how would...
How did that happen?

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de jonquille, postée le 04-10-2013 à 21:55:51 (S | E)
Hello All!

Yes, I would certainly say "how would that happen..." however, the contraction "how'd" more often seems to imply "how did" vs "how would." Thus, my comment "How'd that happen?" would mean "How did that happen?". I would not contract "how and would"... maybe it's just a "quirk" of the language on "this side of the pond" !

(on a side note...Lucile, I noticed "somewhere" (lol), that you had heard a student say "She don't play football." Even here, that would not be considered correct! It's heard frequently among kids...but, it doesn't mean it is correct. )

jonquille

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de lucile83, postée le 04-10-2013 à 23:08:51 (S | E)
Hello jonquille,

Glad to see you here.
I did not say it was correct; I said it could be heard, it could be used, just to inform my students they had to get used to different ways of speaking. I didn't teach them 'she don't ' ...oops!
Have a nice evening.

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de violet91, postée le 04-10-2013 à 23:43:07 (S | E)
Ah ! There you are ! Well done , then and thank you for concluding my little dialogue could contain ' How would that happen ? ´
Beside that, I do not practise how 'd that happen ?' neither learnt ( learned) nor taught = no contraction for 'did ´ on this side ...' pond ´ is interesting .
It'd happen : ok for it would happen / it'd happened: ok for it had happened .
And by the way , when I first heard Mick Jagger sing 'she don't know' or something ...I couldn't believe my ears !
Good night , everybody .

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de jonquille, postée le 05-10-2013 à 16:56:50 (S | E)
Hi violet91!

Wow, does that sound odd to my ears! (It'd happen) Is that really said in the UK?

I don't think I've ever said/heard here that "it'd" could be "it had," "it would," or "it did." (I even asked my husband about it!) Normally, we would say the complete verb (did, had, would) after the word "it."

I guess I'll have to go to the UK and learn English!

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de gerondif, postée le 05-10-2013 à 18:35:42 (S | E)
Violet,
the Beatles sang: "She's got a ticket to ride but she don't care !" But they also sang "eight days a week", However, although they could neither conjugate nor calculate correctly(joking of course),they made it !

I was very surprised the first time I saw 'd' for did as I thought did couldn't be shortened that way but sometimes it is ! Since that dreadful day, my brain after vaccination reacted accordingly and for me :
How'd it happen ? is implicitely a preterite, even if I regret it, but I no longer reel under the grammatical blow, I just adapt !

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de hicks77, postée le 05-10-2013 à 20:40:52 (S | E)
That's funny because this week I couldn't understand the title of Elton John's song "This bus don't stop there anymore".

Thanks to you I got it. ^^

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de notrepere, postée le 05-10-2013 à 21:54:46 (S | E)
Hello

"How'd that happen" means without a doubt "How did" and NOT "How would". How'd isn't a proper contraction anyways. It might as well be spelled How d'd that happen? You Francophones do the same things in French.

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de traviskidd, postée le 06-10-2013 à 10:03:05 (S | E)
Hello.

I must add my voice to the chorus that says that "How'd" means "How did" and NOT "How would".

This is also true for "what" (but only if "did" is an auxiliary, that is, if "what" is used as a direct object), "where", and "why" (also "when", but this is rarer in writing).
- "What'd that do?" (pronounced "whad") (but: "What did that?")
- "Where'd it go?"
- "Why'd he do that?"

After "who" the 'd can mean either "did" (but only if "did" is an auxiliary, that is, if "who" really means "whom") or "would".
- "Who'd he see, and when'd he see him?" (but: "Who did that?")
- "Who'd do such a horrible thing?"

(It's also possible after "which"+noun, but like "when" this is rare in writing: "Which way'd he go?")

See you.

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de simplicius, postée le 06-10-2013 à 10:43:36 (S | E)
Hi everybody,
I've been following this conversation for some time, and at this point I'd really like to have feedback from a native speaker of British English! I suspect that the reduced form 'd is not used in the same way in the UK and in the US.
Cheers.
S.

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de violet91, postée le 06-10-2013 à 12:20:13 (S | E)
Hi ,

Who 'd he see ?( as the short form ) Probably a sort of oral = for who ( or what rather ) would he see if he visited Mars ? ...Ne serait pas bien heureux, voire pire en British English ? How 'd that happened ? either . Je parle du parler , of course !! Du nouvel anglais , alors ? Oh ! Travis ! Pronounce ' whad ' !! Ce serait encore une appropriation par certains britanniques de l'américain parlé ?
Oh ! Shall I have to call ' my ' Oxfordians ?
I think I can say 'did' has NO short form in BE ...
xxxxxxxxx
Good morning , jonquille ...I quite agree with you for saying and writing in full forms : how would ...? How did ...? How had ...? By the way , what do you accept or ' tolerate' in class when you teach grammar and how to conjugate ? Being polite, believe me : is 'grammar ' a separate school subject or do you teach it inside a language lesson ?
And we do work at correct AE yet , even colloquial and slang( then I pick up a dictionary) , when studying literature and hear AE in films and songs .

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 06-10-2013 13:48
Merci de ne pas apostropher untel ou untel sur le forum et de s'énerver pour avoir raison à tout prix.
Il suffit d'un ou deux bons dictionnaires; voir en-dessous.

-------------------
Modifié par violet91 le 06-10-2013 14:36
Merci de tes liens.

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de lucile83, postée le 06-10-2013 à 13:44:22 (S | E)
Hello

Here are helpful links:
Lien internet

Lien internet

Definition of WHO'D
: who had : who would
First Known Use of WHO'D

Bye for now.

Réponse: How'd that happen/aide de jonquille, postée le 06-10-2013 à 16:42:24 (S | E)
Hello violet91,

Shall we put this issue to rest for now, until a native BE speaker contributes to the discussion? I think we are going around in circles right now.

As for your question:
By the way, what do you accept or 'tolerate' in class when you teach grammar and how to conjugate? Being polite, believe me: is 'grammar' a separate school subject or do you teach it inside a language lesson?

Since I teach French and Spanish, I don't normally have a specific lesson in English grammar. However, there are times during the semester, in which students are required to write texts in English. My students know that as a past editor, I expect them to use proper grammar in writing (i.e., no contractions!) as well as proper verb conjugations. Yes, even English students do not know how to conjugate common verbs! There are many times where we have to review what is considered "proper" writing style vs language used in speech, as well as basic parts of speech so that they will know what they are really writing...in both languages!

And here I stop...

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.