Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Script Snowden 2/aide

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Script Snowden 2/aide
Message de brettdallen posté le 28-09-2014 à 16:50:59 (S | E | F)
Hello everybody,

I'm still working on writing the script of the famous interview between E. Snowden and Glenn Greenwald and I'd like it to be perfect. Unfortunately, there are some passages that I find difficult to catch and I'm asking for your help. These passages are highlighted, but if you find anything wrong elsewhere, feel free to say so. I would appreciate your help very much, whatever it is.

Lien internet

NSA/PRISM WHISTLEBLOWER EDWARD SNOWDEN
Interview by Glenn Greenwald (Hong Kong, June 6, 2013)
Glenn Greenwald: Interviewer
Laura Poitras: Filmmaker

E.S.: My name is Ed. Snowden, I'm 29 years old, I work for Booz Allen Hamilton as an infrastructure analyst for N.S.A. in Hawaii.

G.G.: What are some of the positions that you held previously within the intelligence community?

E.S.: I've been a systems engineer, a systems administrator, er.. senior advisor, er.. for the Central Intelligence Agency,solutions consultant and a telecommunications information systems officer.

G.G.: One of the things people are gonna be most interested in... in trying to understand what.. who you are and what you're thinking, is there came some point in time you crossed this line of thinking about being a whistleblower and to making the choice to actually become a whistleblower. Walk people through that decision-making process. (that is explain it step-by-step)

E.S.: When you're in positions of..of privileged access like a systems administrator for the sort of intelligence community agencies, you're exposed to a lot more information on a broader scale than the average employee and because of that you see things that may be disturbing, but over the course of a normal person's career you'd only see one or two of these instances. When you see everything, you see them on a more frequent basis and you recognize that some of these things are actually abuses, and when you talk to people about them: "Aha!" In a place like this, where this is the normal state of business, people tend not to take them very seriously and, you know, move on from them, but over time that awareness of wrongdoings sorta (=sort of) builds up and you feel compelled to talk about it, and the more you talk about it, the more you are ignored, the more you're told it's not a problem, until eventually you realize that these things need to be determined by the public, not by somebody who's simply hired by the government

G.G.: Talking a little bit about how the American surveillance state actually functions, does it target the actions of Americans?

E.S.: Er...N.S.A., and the intelligence community in general is focused on getting intelligence wherever it can, by any means possible and it believes on the grounds of sort of a self-certification that they serve the national interest. Originally, we saw that its focus very narrowly tailored as foreign intelligence gathered overseas, now increasingly we see that it's happening domestically and to do that they... the N.S.A. specifically targets the communications of eveyone and ingests them by default, it collects them in its system and it filters them and it analyzes them then it measures them and it stores them for periods of time, simply because that's the easiest, most efficient, and most valuable way to achieve these ends. So while they may be intending to target someone associated with a foreign government or someone that they suspect of terrorism, they're collecting your communications to do so. And any analyst at any time can target anyone at/and any selector anywhere. Where those communications will be picked up depends on the range of the sensor networks and the authorities that that analyst is empowered with, not all analysts have the ability to target everything. But I, sitting at my desk, certainly had the authorities to wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant, to a federal judge, to even a President if I had a personal e-mail.

G.G.: While the extraordinary parts about this episode is that usually whistleblowers do what they do anonymously and take steps to remain anonymous for as long as they can, which they hope often is forever, you, on the other hand, have decided to do the opposite, which is to declare yourself openly as the person behind these disclosures. Why did you choose to do that?

E.S.: I think that the public is owed an explanation of the motivations behind the people who make these disclosures that are outside of the democratic model. When you are subverting the power of government, that..that's a fundamentally dangerous thing to democracy, and if you do that in secret, consistently, you know, as the government does, when it wants to benefit from a secret action that it took, it'll kinda give its..its officials a mandate to go "Hey, you know, tell the press about this thing and that thing so the public is on our side", but they rarely if ever do that when an abuse occurs; that falls to individual citizens. But they're typically maligned. (pernicieux), you know, it becomes a thing of these people are against the country, they're against the government, but I'm not. I'm..I'm no different from anybody else. I don't have special skills, er.. I'm just another guy who sits there day-to-day in the office, watching what's happening and goes "This is something that's not our place to decide, the public needs to decide whether these programs or policies are right or wrong", and I'm willing to go on the record to defend the authenticity of them and say "I didn't change these, I didn't modify the story, this is the truth, this is what's happening, you should decide whether we need to be doing this."

G.G.: ( 5:20) Have you given any thought to what it is that the U.S. Government's response to your conduct is in terms of they might say about you, how they might try to depict you, what they might try to do to you?

E.S.: Er.. Yeah, I..I could be, you know, rendered (livré) by the C.I.A. , I could have er.. people come after me or any of their third party partners, you know, they work closely with a number of other nations. Well, you know, you pay off the try, you know, any.. any of their agents are assess, we've got a C.I.A station just up the road in the.. in the consulate here in Hong Kong, and I'm sure they're gonna (=going to) be very busy for the next week. Er... and that's..that's a fear I live under for the rest of my life, however long that happens to be. You can't come forward against the world's most powerful intelligence agencies and be completely free from risk because they're such powerful adversaries that no one can meaningfully oppose them. If they want to get you, they'll get you in time. But, at the same time, you have to make a determination about what it is that's important to you, and if living..er..if living unfreely but comfortably is something you're willing to accept, and I think many of us are, it's..it's the human nature, er.. you can get up everyday, you can go to work, you can collect your..your large paycheck for relatively little work, against the public interest, and go to sleep at night after watching your shows, but if you realize that that's the world that you helped to create, and it's going to get worse with the next generation and the next generation who extend the capabilities of this sort of architecture of repression/of oppression, er.. you realize that you might be willing to accept any risk, and it doesn't matter what the outcome (issue) is so long as the public gets to make their own decisions about that's applied.

G.G.: Why should people care about surveillance?

E.S.: Because even if you're not doing anything wrong you're being watched and recorded and the storage capability of this system increases every year, by orders of magnitude, towards/to where it's getting to the point you don't have to have done anything wrong, you simply have to eventually fall under suspicion from somebody, even by a wrong call, and then they can use the system to go back in time and scrutinize every decision you've ever made, every friend you've ever discussed something with and attack you on that basis to sorta (=sort of) derived suspicion, from an innocent life and paint anyone in the context of a wrongdoer.

G.G.: We are currently sitting in a room in Hong Kong (...) which is were we are because you travel/have travelled here, talking a little bit about why is that you came here and specifically there are gonna people who will speculate that what you really intend to do is to defect (= s'enfuir d'un pays pour aller/passer) to the country that many see as the number one rival of the United States, which is China, and that what we're really doing is (to) see it to a..an enemy of the United States, with..which you intend to seek asylum. Could you talk a little bit about that?

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 28-09-2014 16:53
Lien direct ajouté

Réponse: Script Snowden 2/aide de sherry48, postée le 28-09-2014 à 20:45:46 (S | E)
Hello.

Starting at 5:20:

... the try > triads
assess > assets
however OK
repression/of oppression > oppression
towards/to where >to where is correct
paint OK
which is where... you've traveled/travelled here, talk a little...
is (to) see it to a.. > what you're really doing is essentially seeking to aid

Regards.
Sherry

Réponse: Script Snowden 2/aide de brettdallen, postée le 29-09-2014 à 11:36:36 (S | E)
Thank you very much Sherry,
Once I listened to it again, I could not understand how I could have found these passages so difficult. You've been most helpful. Thank you for the help.
Brett.

Réponse: Script Snowden 2/aide de notrepere, postée le 29-09-2014 à 18:23:54 (S | E)
Hello,

E.S.: My name is Ed. Snowden, I'm 29 years old, I work for Booz Allen Hamilton as an infrastructure analyst for N.S.A. in Hawaii.

G.G.: What are some of the positions that you held previously within the intelligence community?

E.S.: I've been a systems engineer, a systems administrator, er.. senior advisor, er.. for the Central Intelligence Agency,solutions consultant and a telecommunications information systems officer.

G.G.: One of the things people are gonna be most interested in... in trying to understand what.. who you are and what you're thinking, is there came some point in time when you crossed this line of thinking about being a whistleblower and to making the choice to actually become a whistleblower. Walk people through that decision-making process. (that is explain it step-by-step)

E.S.: When you're in positions of..of privileged access like a systems administrator for the sort of intelligence community agencies, you're exposed to a lot more information on a broader scale than the average employee and because of that you see things that may be disturbing, but over the course of a normal person's career you'd only see one or two of these instances. When you see everything, you see them on a more frequent basis and you recognize that some of these things are actually abuses, and when you talk to people about them: "Aha!" uh... in a place like this, where this is the normal state of business, people tend not to take them very seriously and, you know, move on from them, but over time that awareness of wrongdoings sorta (=sort of) builds up and you feel compelled to talk about it, and the more you talk about it, the more you are (you're) ignored, the more you're told it's not a problem, until eventually you realize that these things need to be determined by the public, not by somebody who's (who is) simply hired by the government

G.G.: Talking a little bit about how the American surveillance state actually functions, does it target the actions of Americans?

E.S.: Er...N.S.A., and the intelligence community in general is focused on getting intelligence wherever it can, by any means possible and that it believes, on the grounds of sort of a self-certification, that they serve the national interest. Originally, we saw that its focus very narrowly tailored as foreign intelligence gathered overseas, now increasingly we see that it's happening domestically and to do that they... the N.S.A. specifically targets the communications of eveyone and ingests them by default, it collects them in its system and it filters them and it analyzes them then it measures them and it stores them for periods of time, simply because that's the easiest, most efficient, and most valuable way to achieve these ends. So while they may be intending to target someone associated with a foreign government or someone that they suspect of terrorism, they're collecting your communications to do so. And any analyst at any time can target anyone at/and any selector anywhere. Where those communications will be picked up depends on the range of the sensor networks and the authorities that that analyst is empowered with, not all analysts have the ability to target everything. But I, sitting at my desk, certainly had the authorities to wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant, to a federal judge, to even the President if I had a personal e-mail.

G.G.: One of the extraordinary parts about this episode is that usually whistleblowers do what they do anonymously and take steps to remain anonymous for as long as they can, which they hope often is forever, you, on the other hand, have decided to do the opposite, which is to declare yourself openly as the person behind these disclosures. Why did you choose to do that?

E.S.: I think that the public is owed an explanation of the motivations behind the people who make these disclosures that are outside of the democratic model. When you are subverting the power of government, that..that's a fundamentally dangerous thing to democracy, and if you do that in secret, consistently, you know, as the government does, when it wants to benefit from a secret action that it took, it'll kinda give its..its officials a mandate to go "Hey, you know, tell the press about this thing and that thing so the public is on our side", but they rarely if ever do that when an abuse occurs; that falls to individual citizens. But they're typically maligned. (pernicieux), you know, it becomes a thing of these people are against the country, they're against the government, but I'm not. I'm..I'm no different from anybody else.

G.G.: One of the things people are gonna be most interested in... in trying to understand what.. who you are and what you're thinking, is there came some point in time you crossed this line of thinking about being a whistleblower and to making the choice to actually become a whistleblower. Walk people through that decision-making process. (that is explain it step-by-step)

E.S.: When you're in positions of..of privileged access like a systems administrator for the sort of intelligence community agencies, you're exposed to a lot more information on a broader scale than the average employee and because of that you see things that may be disturbing, but over the course of a normal person's career you'd only see one or two of these instances. When you see everything, you see them on a more frequent basis and you recognize that some of these things are actually abuses, and when you talk to people about them: "Aha!" In a place like this, where this is the normal state of business, people tend not to take them very seriously and, you know, move on from them, but over time that awareness of wrongdoings sorta (=sort of) builds up and you feel compelled to talk about it, and the more you talk about it, the more you are ignored, the more you're told it's not a problem, until eventually you realize that these things need to be determined by the public, not by somebody who's simply hired by the government

E.S.: Er...N.S.A., and the intelligence community in general is focused on getting intelligence wherever it can, by any means possible and it believes on the grounds of sort of a self-certification that they serve the national interest. Originally, we saw that its focus very narrowly tailored as foreign intelligence gathered overseas, now increasingly we see that it's happening domestically and to do that they... the N.S.A. specifically targets the communications of eveyone and ingests them by default, it collects them in its system and it filters them and it analyzes them then it measures them and it stores them for periods of time, simply because that's the easiest, most efficient, and most valuable way to achieve these ends. So while they may be intending to target someone associated with a foreign government or someone that they suspect of terrorism, they're collecting your communications to do so. And any analyst at any time can target anyone at/and any selector anywhere. Where those communications will be picked up depends on the range of the sensor networks and the authorities that that analyst is empowered with, not all analysts have the ability to target everything. But I, sitting at my desk, certainly had the authorities to wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant, to a federal judge, to even a President if I had a personal e-mail.

G.G.: While the extraordinary parts about this episode is that usually whistleblowers do what they do anonymously and take steps to remain anonymous for as long as they can, which they hope often is forever, you, on the other hand, have decided to do the opposite, which is to declare yourself openly as the person behind these disclosures. Why did you choose to do that?

E.S.: I think that the public is owed an explanation of the motivations behind the people who make these disclosures that are outside of the democratic model. When you are subverting the power of government, that..that's a fundamentally dangerous thing to democracy, and if you do that in secret, consistently, you know, as the government does, when it wants to benefit from a secret action that it took, it'll kinda give its..its officials a mandate to go "Hey, you know, tell the press about this thing and that thing so the public is on our side", but they rarely if ever do that when an abuse occurs; that falls to individual citizens. But they're typically maligned. (pernicieux), you know, it becomes a thing of these people are against the country, they're against the government, but I'm not. I'm..I'm no different from anybody else. I don't have special skills, er.. I'm just another guy who sits there day-to-day in the office, watching what's happening and goes "This is something that's not our place to decide, the public needs to decide whether these programs or policies are right or wrong", and I'm willing to go on the record to defend the authenticity of them and say "I didn't change these, I didn't modify the story, this is the truth, this is what's happening, you should decide whether we need to be doing this."

G.G.: ( 5:20) Have you given any thought to what it is that the U.S. Government's response to your conduct is in terms of they might say about you, how they might try to depict you, what they might try to do to you?

E.S.: Er.. Yeah, I..I could be, you know, rendered (livré) by the C.I.A. , I could have er.. people come after me or any of their third party partners, you know, they work closely with a number of other nations or, you know, they could pay off the triads, you know, any.. any of their agents or assets, we've got a C.I.A station just up the road in the.. in the consulate here in Hong Kong, and I'm sure they're gonna (=going to) be very busy for the next week. Er... and that's..that's a fear I live under for the rest of my life, however long that happens to be. You can't come forward against the world's most powerful intelligence agencies and be completely free from risk because they're such powerful adversaries that no one can meaningfully oppose them. If they want to get you, they'll get you in time. But, at the same time, you have to make a determination about what it is that's important to you, and if living..er..if living unfreely but comfortably is something you're willing to accept, and I think many of us are, it's..it's the human nature, er.. you can get up every day, you can go to work, you can collect your..your large paycheck for relatively little work, against the public interest, and go to sleep at night after watching your shows, but if you realize that that's the world that you helped to create, and it's going to get worse with the next generation and the next generation who extend the capabilities of this sort of architecture of repression/of oppression, er.. you realize that you might be willing to accept any risk, and it doesn't matter what the outcome (issue) is so long as the public gets to make their own decisions how that's applied.

G.G.: Why should people care about surveillance?

E.S.: Because even if you're not doing anything wrong you're being watched and recorded and the storage capability of these systems increases every year, consistently, by orders of magnitude, towards/to where it's getting to the point you don't have to have done anything wrong, you simply have to eventually fall under suspicion from somebody, even by a wrong call, and then they can use the system to go back in time and scrutinize every decision you've ever made, every friend you've ever discussed something with and attack you on that basis to sorta (=sort of) derived suspicion, from an innocent life and paint anyone in the context of a wrongdoer.

G.G.: We are currently sitting in a room in Hong Kong (...) which is where we are because you travel/have travelled here, talking a little bit about why it is that you came here and specifically there are gonna people who will speculate that what you really intend to do is to defect (= s'enfuir d'un pays pour aller/passer) to the country that many see as the number one rival of the United States, which is China, and that what you're really doing is seeking to aid an enemy of the United States, with..which you intend to seek asylum. Could you talk a little bit about that?

-------------------
Modifié par notrepere le 29-09-2014 18:35

Réponse: Script Snowden 2/aide de brettdallen, postée le 29-09-2014 à 20:58:48 (S | E)
Hello Notrepere,

It's been quite a while, hasn't it? You seem to have understood perfectly what I was trying to do and have given me a real help. You've read the whole script, that's more than I could have expected! I don't know why I'm like this but when it comes to writing scripts, I need to have everything perfect; if there's a fly in the room and it moves, I'll problably write down "buzz!". Thank you very much for the help. I will post the end of the story in a moment. The next part for me will be the South Park episode about the NSA; quite challenging, isn't it?

Réponse: Script Snowden 2/aide de notrepere, postée le 30-09-2014 à 01:17:55 (S | E)
Hello, tu as bien compris l'accent américain agaçé, I just made some minor changes...when we're pausing, we say, 'uh' or 'um' instead of 'er'. I think they say 'er' in Canada. I was going to continue transcribing...but I didn't want to deny you the privilege. J'attends la suite.
Bonne continuation.

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.