Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Bac/Idea of progress

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais || En bas

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Bac/Idea of progress
Message de bibix1 posté le 20-04-2016 à 13:45:56 (S | E | F)
Bonjour
Je suis actuellement en classe de Terminale s et je prépare mes notions pour l'expression orale. Je viens de finir la rédaction de la notion de progrès et donc auriez-vous s'il vous plaît la gentillesse de me corriger et éventuellement faire quelques critiques.
Merci pour vos réponses.

Voici mon travail :
I’m going to talk about the notion of progress. Progress means a movement forward which make the world a better place to live and gives more possibilities. But paradoxically all those possibilities do not bring our world in a better place to live. The progress can be scientific, technical or social. The scientific progress can be defined as a drawback or as a advantage? In the first part I will show that scientific progress are concerned by ethical problems and can have an negative impact upon our society. Then I will present advantages of the scientific progress.

Scientific progress has often ethical problems. Indeed, for example the progress in the manipulation of genes can be seen as a sort of dehumanizing machine.
In a extract of A brave new world, written by Aldous Huxley in 1932, is described a dystopian society where humans are treated like machines. It’s explained that from one ovum can be made 96 identical babies who will become 96 identical workers. Those babies are also growing in a sort of factory. The author wrote this novel to show that the progress of his time was bringing the where humans are not really humans but machines.
We also have seen a cartoon who shows a factory in which men, on a assembly line, are made like simple objects in industries. Every man is identical : muscular and handsome. One of them is different : smaller and less strong. This one is kicked out of the assembly line because is defective. Making identical people destroy the idea of identity. The cartoonist make a reference to the science called eugenics. Only the none defective people are selected to live. Moreover the cartoonist thinks that the norm in our society is to be fit and spend time in salons to be perfect.
The scientific progress can accentuate the hierarchy in our society, dig social inegalities and make of our lives programs, written before our birth, that can be called destiny. In Gattaca, Andrew Niccol showed it perfectly. Scientist have the possibility to modify genes of an egg cell to make of a person a future athlete, mathematician or an engineer. Naturally a person good in a area will work in this area. It is why I talk about the idea of destiny. Entreprises make an illegal selection of person with genes adapted to their activities. People without an gene treatment stay in fringes, making simple tasks.

Of course, the scientific progress can also be benefic for people.
Indeed, in a article of The Guardian Weekly, is described a situation in which a man and a woman can have a baby even if they cannot have it by themselves. A Woman is paid to bring someone else’s baby. Those women are called surrogates. This progress enable people to have their own children and has a social impact. Indeed, it enables to poor people to live in good conditions and earn money. The biological parents have to take care of the surrogate and have to provide her.
To get back to the ethical problem, the surrogacy can be seen as a business of human body because someone is getting paid by people who can use their body.
The medical progress saves people lives. In a extract from the USA Today is described a case in which a girl, named Molly Nash, was cured of Fanconi’s Anemia who kills people before the age of 7. In 2010 Molly reached her 15 years old…Scientist saved her with transplanting blood cells from his brother’s cord.

I have use a couple of documents to deal with the subject. Those who show the idea of progress as a drawback came from the science fiction area and the others who show it as an advantage came from facts. I can deduce that the drawback side of the scientific progress is reserve to the future and the advantage side is present today and has its proves.

In my opnion, even if those dramatic scenarios are not real it doesn’t mean that they cannot happen. In fact, oftenly scientist’s or ingeener’s researchs are inspired by science fiction. To give an example the ingeneer, Martin Cooper, was inspired by the “communicator” in Star Trek to create the first mobile phone for Motorola.

-------------------
Modifié par lucile83 le 20-04-2016 15:58

Réponse: Bac/Idea of progress de bibix1, postée le 21-04-2016 à 19:17:57 (S | E)
Bonsoir
Dois-je comprendre que personne répond parce que mon texte est parfait?

Réponse: Bac/Idea of progress de here4u, postée le 21-04-2016 à 20:10:38 (S | E)
Simply because everyone's on holiday...
be patient... I'll have a look a little later, asap.

Réponse: Bac/Idea of progress de here4u, postée le 21-04-2016 à 21:38:12 (S | E)
hello !

blue = wrong; green = suggestions; XXX = missing elements ; underlined = very clumsy ...

I’m going to talk about the notion of progress. Progress means a movement forward which make the world a better place to live XX and gives more possibilities. But paradoxically all those possibilities do not bring our world in a better place to live XX . The progress can be scientific, technical or social. The scientific progress can be (ordre des mots pour faire une question?) defined as a drawback or as a advantage?(Do you want a question, or not?) In the first part I will show that scientific progress are concerned by ethical problems and can have an negative impact upon our society. Then I will present XXX advantages of the scientific progress.

Scientific progress has often ethical problems= clumsy. Indeed, for example the progress in the manipulation of genes can be seen as a sort of dehumanizing machine.
In a extract of A brave new world, written by Aldous Huxley in 1932, is described a dystopian society where humans are treated like machines. It’s explained that from one ovum can be made 96 identical babies who will become 96 identical workers. Those babies are also growing inXX a sort of factory. The author wrote this novel to show that the progress of his time was bringing the where humans are not really humans but machines.
We also have seen = ordre des mots a cartoon who shows a factory in which men, on a assembly line, are made like simple objects in industries. Every man is identical : muscular and handsome. One of them is different : smaller and less strong. This one is kicked out of the assembly line because subject ? is defective. Making identical people destroy the idea of identity. The cartoonist make a reference to the science called eugenics. Only the none defective people are selected to live. Moreover the cartoonist thinks that the norm in our society is to be fit and spend time in salons to be perfect.
The scientific progress can accentuate the hierarchy in our society, dig social inegalities and make of our lives programs, written before our birth, that can be called destiny. In Gattaca, Andrew Niccol showed it perfectly. Scientist have the possibility to modify XXX genes of an egg cell to make of a person a future athlete,ordre des mots X mathematician or an engineer. Naturally a person good in a area will work in this area. It is why I talk about the idea of destiny. Entreprises make an illegal selection of person with genes adapted to their activities. People without an gene treatment stay in fringes, making simple tasks.

Of course, the scientific progress can also be benefic for people.
Indeed, in a article of The Guardian Weekly, is described a situation in which a man and a woman can have a baby even if they cannot have it by themselves. A Woman is paid to bring someone else’s baby. Those women are called surrogates. This progress enable people to have their own children and has a social impact. Indeed, it enables to poor people to live in good conditions and earn money.(not sure I understand...) The biological parents have to take care of the surrogate and have to provide XXX her.
To get back to the ethical problem, the surrogacy can be seen as a business of human body because someone is getting paid by people who can use their body. (who can use whose bodies? )
The medical progress saves people lives. In a extract from the USA Today is described a case in which a girl, named Molly Nash, was cured of Fanconi’s Anemia who kills people before the age of 7. In 2010 Molly reached her 15 years old…Scientist saved her with transplanting blood cells from his brother’s cord.

I have use a couple of documents to deal with the subject. Those who show the idea of progress as a drawback came from the science fiction area and the others who show it as an advantage came from facts. I can deduce that the drawback side of the scientific progress is reserve to the future and the advantage side is present today and has its proves.

In my opnion, even if those dramatic scenarios are not real it doesn’t mean that they cannot happen. In fact, oftenly scientist’s or ingeener’s researchs are inspired by science fiction. To give an example the ingeneer, Martin Cooper, was inspired by the “communicator” in Star Trek to create the first mobile phone for Motorola.

Réponse: Bac/Idea of progress de bibix1, postée le 23-04-2016 à 18:23:36 (S | E)
Good evening,
Thanks a lot for your answer here4u! I have made some stupid errors and sentences... So I'm very thankful for your work. Can you take a look on this text? I'm not sure if I have made new errors. Thank you again.

I’m going to talk about the notion of progress. Progress means a movement forward which makes the world a better place to live for people and gives more possibilities. But paradoxically all those possibilities do not make our world a better place. Can we define progress as drawback or as benefit? In the first part I will show that scientific progress is concerned by ethical problems and can have a negative impact upon our society. Then I will present the advantages of scientific progress.

Scientific progress is often confronted with ethical problems. Indeed, for example the progress in the manipulation of genes can be seen as a sort of dehumanizing machine.
In an extract of A brave new world, written by Aldous Huxley in 1932, is described a dystopian society where humans are treated like machines. It’s explained that from one ovum can be made 96 identical babies who will become 96 identical workers. Those babies are also growing in a sort of factory. The author was inspired by ideas of his time like eugenics. We also have seen ( je ne vois pas l’erreur ) a cartoon showing a factory in which men, on an assembly line, are made like simple objects in industries. Every man is identical : muscular and handsome. One of them is different : smaller and less strong. He is kicked out of the assembly line because he is defective. Making identical people destroys the idea of identity. The cartoonist makes a reference to the science called eugenics. Only the no defective people are selected to live. Moreover the cartoonist thinks that the norm in our society is to be fit and spend time in salons to be perfect.
Scientific progress can emphasize the hierarchy in our society, dig social differences and make program of our life, that can be called destiny. In Gattaca, Andrew Niccol showed it perfectly. Scientists have the possibility to modify XXX genes of an egg cell to make a future athlete,a mathematician or an engineer of a person. Naturally a good person in an area will work in this area. It is why I talk about the idea of destiny. Corporations make an illegal selection of people with genes adapted to their activities. People without a gene treatment stay in fringes, making simple tasks.

Of course, scientific progress can also be beneficial for people.
Indeed, in an article of The Guardian Weekly, is described a situation in which a infertile couple can have a baby even if they cannot have it by themselves. A Woman is paid to bring someone else’s baby. Those women are called surrogates. This progress enables people to have their own children and has a social impact. It has a social impact because the surrogate earn money for bringing someone else’s baby. The biological parents have to take care of the surrogate and have to provide her what she needs to keep their baby alive.
To get back to the ethical problem, surrogacy can be seen as a business of human body because the surrogate is getting paid by people who can use her body.
Medical progress saves people’s life. In a extract from the USA Today is described a case in which a girl, named Molly Nash, was cured of Fanconi’s Anemia who kills people before the age of 7. In 2010 Molly reached her 15 years old… Scientists saved her because they transplanted blood cells from her brother’s cord.

I have used a couple of documents to deal with the subject. Those who show the idea of progress as a drawback came from the science fiction area and the others show it as an advantage and came from facts. I can deduce that the drawback of scientific progress is reserved to the future and the beneficial side is present today and has its evidences.

In my opinion, even if those dramatic scenarios are not real it doesn’t mean that they cannot happen. In fact, frequently scientist’s or engineer’s research are inspired by science fiction. To give an example the engineer, Martin Cooper, was inspired by the “communicator” in Star Trek to create the first mobile phone for Motorola.

Réponse: Bac/Idea of progress de bibix1, postée le 02-05-2016 à 22:23:56 (S | E)
So what do you think?

[POSTER UNE NOUVELLE REPONSE] [Suivre ce sujet]

Cours gratuits > Forum > Forum anglais: Questions sur l'anglais

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.