Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Too many of them/aide

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Too many of them/aide
Message from mohammad51 posted on 02-01-2019 at 18:53:55 (D | E | F)
Hello
please what is the meaning of this?
Here in this forum an exercise about ( too many \ too much \ too )
7. I have eaten too many of them ! The correct answer is ( too many )
What does too many of them! mean ?
Does it mean more than them he eats ? I got it in this way. too + ( many of them ) ?
I noticed an idiom ( one too many).
I searched all the web, but never found a word or a phrase matched to this.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 02-01-2019 21:24

Re: Too many of them/aide from kazwell, posted on 02-01-2019 at 20:26:36 (D | E)
Hi mohammed,
too many of them --> more than you can count (attention : it can mean this, doesn't mean the two are interchangeable)
One too many time, an idiom used to say that this 'one' time was your limit, ex :
I have been betrayed one too many times.
Hope this helped.

PS : Does it mean more than them he eats ? I got it in this way. too + ( many of them ) ?
I don't understand your question

Re: Too many of them/aide from mohammad51, posted on 02-01-2019 at 21:04:06 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you kazwell
Also, I got it in the way you described ( more than you can count ) OK
What I meant by ( Does it mean more than them he eats ?) Of course he eats too much or perhaps more than his friends that accompanied him.
According to the sentence it talks about someone eats ( I have eaten too many of them !)

Too many of them refers to what or the pronoun ( them ) refers to what ?
Does it refer to types of food ( vegetables, meat, etc..) lying on his table ? Then he eats too many of these types of food.

Re: Too many of them/aide from gerondif, posted on 03-01-2019 at 01:00:12 (D | E)
Hello
It is rather simple !
too + adjective or adverb.
He is too tall, he runs too slowly.

too many + plural noun or omitted plural noun.
I have eaten too many chips.
There were plenty of different sweets and I have eaten too many of them.
You may have some sweets, but don't eat too many !

too much + singular noun.
I drink too much beer.
This tobacco is rather strong, you shouldn't smoke too much of it.
She was in pain and she took a lot of paracetamol, in fact, she took too much of it, paracetamol is dangerous if you take more than four grammes a day !
I work too much.(modifies the verb)

Re: Too many of them/aide from mohammad51, posted on 03-01-2019 at 12:07:26 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you gerondif
Firstly I thought , it is likely a joke as we said many like this in Arabic
Then I though that the speaker hinted to something ( omitted) as you said.

Re: Too many of them/aide from gerondif, posted on 03-01-2019 at 12:18:56 (D | E)
Hello
likely will apply to a verb.He is likely to come, he will probably come, he may come.
First I thought it was probably a joke
as we said many like this in Arabic
you say many things like this but you tell a joke.
did you mean as or like
I thought it was a joke like the ones we often tell in Arabic.
I thought it was a joke as we often tell similar jokes in Arabic.

Re: Too many of them/aide from simom, posted on 14-01-2019 at 09:47:39 (D | E)
I am here to learn English. I watched all of your replies and I found that there are a lot of things that I need to learn.

Re: Too many of them/aide from gerondif, posted on 14-01-2019 at 14:22:21 (D | E)
Hello simom
You watch a film on a screen because the characters are moving, you can't really "watch" an answer unless it is moving and crawling across the screen. You saw all the replies, you read them,...
If a man says look at me, he wants you to look at his looks, his clothes, his hair-style...
If a man says watch me, he wants you to watch what he is going to do, a movement, an action.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.