Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Simple sentences/complex

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Simple sentences/complex
Message from mohammad51 posted on 11-12-2019 at 18:11:41 (D | E | F)
Hello
Could you help me with this quiz, please ?
At least one question of these.
Many thanks in advance.

Combine the following simple sentences to form subordinate
1. He wrote a letter. He wrote for a certain reason. He wrote it to his supervisor. He told me about that.
2. Jack fell in love with Rose. He would give a present to her. He had bought in Paris.
3. He was living in New York. The policemen asked the man. He had an accident in New York.
4. I may help you. I may not help you. You are sure to lose the game.
5. Million did not educate his daughter in the language. He said that one tongue was enough for a woman.
6. They play the game skillfully. No one could have played it more skillfully. They had been thoroughly well trained.
7. He had not learned to read and write. He was very ignored. He could not even talk fluently. Such a man should not pretend to be a doctor.

-------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 11-12-2019 19:05

Re: Simple sentences/complex from lucile83, posted on 11-12-2019 at 19:09:37 (D | E)
Hello,
For instance you could write:
1. He wrote a letter to his supervisor for a certain reason which he told me about.

Now you have to try and we'll proofread your replies.

Re: Simple sentences/complex from mohammad51, posted on 11-12-2019 at 20:41:24 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you dear teacher lucile83

My answers
If any suggestion I receive from you, surely I will be gratified.
--
2. Jack, who was fallen \ fell in love with Rose, gave her (Rose) a present which he bought in Paris.

3. The policemen asked the man, who was living in New York, for an accident he had done there.

4. a. Whether I may help you or not, you are sure to lose the game.
b. You are sure to lose the game whether I may help you or may not.

5. Milton said that he did not educate his daughter in the languages, because one tongue was enough for a woman.

6. They played the game skillfully, which no one could have played it more skillfully, than they had been thoroughly well trained.
OR: As they had been thoroughly well trained, they played the game skillfully, so no one could have played it more skillfully than them \ than they had been.

7. Having not learned to read and write, he was very ignored and even couldn't talk fluently; therefore, such a man should not pretend to be a doctor.

OR : Such a man should not pretend to be a doctor, who had not learned to read and write and even couldn't talk fluently.

OR : A man should not pretend to be a doctor unless had learned to read , write and could have talk fluently.

Re: Simple sentences/complex from gerondif, posted on 12-12-2019 at 00:45:46 (D | E)
Hello
Let's first make the exercise correct.
1. He wrote a letter. He wrote for a certain reason. He wrote it to his supervisor. He told me about that.
2. Jack fell in love with Rose. He would wanted to give a present to her. He had bought it in Paris.
3. He was living in New York. The policemen asked the man. He had an accident in New York.
4. I may help you. I may not help you. You are sure to lose the game.
5. Million did not educate his daughter in the language(in languages). He said that one tongue was enough for a woman.
6. They play the game skillfully. No one could have played it more skillfully. They had been thoroughly well trained.
7. He had not learned to read and write. He was very ignored.(ignorant?) He could not even talk fluently. Such a man should not pretend to be a doctor.

This is what I would have done :
1) He told me about writing a letter for a certain reason to his supervisor.
He told me about the letter he wrote for a certain reason to his supervisor.

2) Jack, who had fallen in love with Rose, wanted to give her a present he had bought in Paris.

3)The policemen asked the man who had had an accident in New-York if he lived there.

4) You are sure to lose the game whether I help you or not.

5) Million, who said that one tongue was enough for a woman, didn't educate his daughter in languages (in any other language)

6) They had been so thoroughly well-trained that no one could have played the game more skillfully than they did.

7) He could neither read nor write nor even talk fluently and was consequently so ignorant that such a man should never have pretended to be a doctor.

Your sentences : mistakes in blue.
2. Jack, who was fallen \ fell in love with Rose, gave her (Rose) a present which he (had)bought in Paris.

3. The policemen asked the man, who was living in New York, for(about) an accident he had done there.

4. a. Whether I may help you or not, you are sure to lose the game.(whether "replaces" may, )
b. You are sure to lose the game whether I may help you or may not.

5. Milton said that he did not educate his daughter in the languages, because one tongue was enough for a woman.

6. They played the game skillfully, which no one could have played it(which already represents game) more skillfully, than(wrong construction) they had been thoroughly well trained.
OR: As they had been thoroughly well trained, they played the game skillfully, so no one could have played it more skillfully than them \ than they had been.

7. Having not(the other way around, not having) learned to read and write, he was very ignored and even couldn't(the other way around) talk fluently; therefore, such a man should not pretend to be a doctor.

OR : Such a man should not pretend to be a doctor, (put who...behind such a man, who...)who had not learned to read and write and even couldn't even talk fluently.

OR : A man should not pretend to be a doctor unless he had learned to read , write and could have talk fluently.

Re: Simple sentences/complex from mohammad51, posted on 12-12-2019 at 20:21:40 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you very much dear teacher gerondif
May God bless you.
I get benefit from you.
I read your notices carefully
Once you said may does the function instead of ( whether)
Yes it means perhaps and when ( perhaps) it means there is option either this or that.
Yes whether I help you not whether I may help you......
Also, I see my last example is useful:
A man should not pretend to be a doctor unless he had learned to read , write and could have talked fluently.
Best wishes to you as well as all teachers here.

Re: Simple sentences/complex from gerondif, posted on 13-12-2019 at 00:31:09 (D | E)
Hello
A man should not pretend to be a doctor unless he had learned to read , write and could have talked fluently.
A man should not pretend to be a doctor unless he had learned to read , write and could talk fluently.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.