Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Help/grammar

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Help/grammar
Message from happychihuahua posted on 13-10-2020 at 02:21:07 (D | E | F)
Hello,
I want would like to understand the following questions.Could you help me please?
Thanks for any reply.

I saw sth like that was a summer i will never forget and that summer was unforgettable in advance english grammar in use by Murphy.
why" was unforgettable"?
can i use the present tense "is"?
In regards to my father is a man i'll never forget,why the verb here is "is ".You see,the summer is In the past and so is my father(sorry to mention,but he passed on months ago.).
Why was a summer i will never forget & is a man that i will never forget.how to use "was" and"is" In this sort of question correctly?

here are some sentences written by me.(although I don't understand why)
there are some moments i 'll never forget(i had these moments with my parents)
that is a man that i'll never forget.(he died)
that is a girl that i'll never forget(she was my girlfriend.)
these were moments that i'll never forget.

------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 13-10-2020 08:33
Grey

Re: Help/grammar from gerondif, posted on 13-10-2020 at 15:25:13 (D | E)
Hello
Try to be clearer , it is hard to understand what you really ask.

That was a summer I will never forget. ok
That summer was unforgettable. You can of course say : "That summer is unforgettable, I will never forget it," if you are the one speaking NOW.
But imagine a writer writing a novel, or the film "Summer of '42" : The narrator could very well say, at the beginning of the film, before we have a flashbeck to the 40's : That summer 42 was unforgettable.
Of course, the problem disappears if you change the adjective : That summer was fantastic, super, awesome, terrific...

my father is a man I'll never forget. Correct, you are voicing this opinion NOW.

Your examples are all correct, as you voice your opinion NOW.
There are some moments I 'll never forget(I had these moments with my parents)
That is a man that I'll never forget.(he died)
That is a girl that I'll never forget(she was my girlfriend.)
these were moments that I'll never forget.
I is always written in capital letters, wherever it might be in a sentence, when it is a subject pronoun.

Re: Help/grammar from happychihuahua, posted on 26-10-2020 at 08:09:43 (D | E)
Thanks,sir,very.But I can't fully understand,If I was in a conversation ,and now I wanted to mention something like,“ XXX was my girlfriend,and she was always so charming....I think she is/was a girl I'll never forget.”Here I Should use is/was?(For my personal opinion,i would probably use is)
And “My father is/was a man I will never forget.He was always so kind and generous.”Here I think it should be is.
If I change was into is In the "summer of 42",will it be unnatural?How should I use is/was correctly in a conversation rather than a single sentence.

Re: Help/grammar from happychihuahua, posted on 26-10-2020 at 08:11:19 (D | E)
looking forward for your reply

Re: Help/grammar from here4u, posted on 26-10-2020 at 09:37:47 (D | E)
Hello,
Gerondif is right... You’re hard to follow... You should perhaps make real sentences with « full stops » and « commas » ( but no capital to a word after a comma), capitalise all your « I »s, change paragraphs and put «x » when necessary...
You seem to be following your stream of consciousness with confusion, and no logical link words... Help us help you, please.
Take care.

Re: Help/grammar from gerondif, posted on 26-10-2020 at 15:50:10 (D | E)
Hello
“ XXX was my girlfriend,and she was always so charming....I think she is/was a girl I'll never forget.”Here I Should use is/was?(For my personal opinion,i would probably use is)
I think she is a girl I'll never forget. If you say I think, you mean it now and it is some kind of eternal truth, so present tense is.
She was a girl I'll never forget. Simple description of who and how she was at the time.

“My father was a man I will never forget.He was always so kind and generous.” Description of a man who is dead now.
“My father is a man I will never forget. He is always so kind and generous.” Description of a man who is still alive.
“My father is a man I will never forget. He was always so kind and generous before we fell out and drifted apart.” He is still alive but he no longer is kind and generous because you don't see each other any more.

If I change was into is In the "summer of 42",will it be unnatural?
That summer 42 was unforgettable. It is a memory, you are speaking about it years later.
That summer 42 is unforgettable. You are in summer 1942.

Re: Help/grammar from happychihuahua, posted on 03-11-2020 at 17:20:58 (D | E)
Thanks for all your help!
Ok,this time I'll be very specific and clear.
I'd like to know if a man/thing was gone,like forever,could I still use the present simple tense?
e.g.
That was a summer I'll never forget(The summer is gone,so I'm doing a narrative statement now.The summer was great,and I miss it so much.)
That is a summer I'll never forget.(Although the summer is gone,I'm saying my feelings NOW.)
My father was a man I'll never forget.(He is dead,so I'm simply telling people the truth,which is that My father was really nice when alive,and I still love him so much.)
My father is a man I'll never forget.(Although he's dead,but it's my feeling towards him NOW.)
Sorry for my earlier response.I'll pay attention to It.
If I've got the idea,please let me know.BTW,I'm Chinese,so the past simple tense is really a big problem for me...It's really hard to tell how to use it when it's in a longer sentence.

Re: Help/grammar from happychihuahua, posted on 03-11-2020 at 17:22:28 (D | E)
Could you give me some recommendation about learning tenses?

Re: Help/grammar from happychihuahua, posted on 03-11-2020 at 17:28:26 (D | E)
And something's been wrong with the keyboard for a long time,really sorry.

Re: Help/grammar from gerondif, posted on 03-11-2020 at 17:38:21 (D | E)
Hello
I can agree with all your sentences.
Although he is dead, my father is a man I'll never forget makes sense.

There are probably a lot of exercises and tutorials on this site to learn tenses.
I don't see what recommendations I could give you . I can only compare the logic of tenses between English, German and French, or tell what a specific English tense means and when it is used.

Re: Help/grammar from happychihuahua, posted on 05-11-2020 at 09:46:31 (D | E)
Thanks a lot.I'm I have been working on the exercises recently!May I ask you more if I get confused?

------------------
Edited by lucile83 on 05-11-2020 13:46
Grey

Re: Help/grammar from lucile83, posted on 05-11-2020 at 13:44:36 (D | E)
Hello happychihuahua,
Yes of course you can ask for help on this forum Please write I, not i...Thanks.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.