Recommandés :
- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Using not only/but also correctly

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Using not only/but also correctly
Message from mohammad51 posted on 16-01-2024 at 00:15:35 (D | E | F)
Hello
As much as I read books or read online I noticed that there is not a well guide can the learners depend on.
It is all in chaos ( no unique method or way of using these correlative conjunctions and especially with " not only / but also"
Except the inversion mode, some put not only after the main verb lexical and some put it before the main verb lexical.

I surely know >> It goes after the verb to Be But when the verb is lexical I recommend or I got satisfied to use it before the lexical but once I read here or there another author " would say wrong" So which is the most dependable rule ?

---------
Here is a question : Correct or improve the sentence

[ Of course the author asks about parallel structure]

My friend not only likes to play chess but also read comics.

My answer : My friend not only likes to play chess but also to read comics.

I can also use the gerund form : My friend not only likes playing chess but also reading comics.

However, I noticed a similar example: the author removed ( to) not only + like + infinitive without to ?
If it possible to upload a photo, I will upload it to here.

But in another book, I found this example which is as I did :
282. My dog likes not only to play fetch, but also to chase cars.
a. parallel b. not parallel the answer = parallel

Thank you in advance.

Re: Using not only/but also correctly from gerondif, posted on 16-01-2024 at 11:57:35 (D | E)
Hello
Non solum...sed etiam, a latin phrase, gave birth to not only...but also.

Not only does he smoke but he also drinks.
He not only lies but (he) also steals.

In your sentence, I would write :

My friend not only likes to play chess but he also likes to read comics.
My friend likes not only to play chess but also to read comics.

My friend not only likes playing chess but he also likes reading comics.
My friend likes not only playing chess but also reading comics.

I would not mix the two patterns. Your confusion probably stems from the use of like + ing or like + the infinitive.
There would be no problem with a single verb. He not only swims well but also runs well.

Re: Using not only/but also correctly from mohammad51, posted on 17-01-2024 at 13:04:52 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you very much dear teacher Gerondif
----
Let me start a discussion with you

1. Why do we repeat the subject while it is understood?

Some or many grammarians suggest ( not repeating the same subject )

It is also applicable for the verb when it is the same verb

When I say " I don't open the door. I don't open the window.
Use not only ...not also
Here it is better to use ( neither ...nor )

My friend not only likes to play chess but also read comics.

= my friend likes to play chess. My friend likes to read comics.
so the subject is the same and the verb used is the same as well.
= My friend likes to play chess and read comics
= ( X) not only likes to play chess, but also X likes to read comics.
paired conjunctions + ( same subjects and same verbs )
So why not to shorten as :

My friend not only likes to play chess, but also to read comics.

The verb ( likes ) is implied ( elliptical) after ( but also )

Am I right or not ?

Re: Using not only/but also correctly from gerondif, posted on 17-01-2024 at 13:19:40 (D | E)
Hello
Here is what I find disturbing in your pattern :
Not only...but also applies to the verb immediately after it, so, if the verb placed after "not only" is conjugated in the present tense , I don't find it logical that the other half of the expression should be followed by an infinitive or a split infinitive. That is why I gave you both patterns with the subjects repeated so that you would see what I meant :

My friend not only likes to play chess but also likes to read comics.

My friend not only likes playing chess but he also likes reading comics.
My friend likes not only playing chess but also reading comics.

As regards suppressing the second subject, it works in this sentence :
My friend likes to play chess and also likes to read comics.
My friend likes to play chess but also likes to read comics.
My friend likes to play chess and also to read comics.

I find it akward to suppress the second subject after but also if there is a "not only" in the first sentence. It sounds wrong to my ears.

My friend not only likes to play chess, he also likes to read comics.
My friend not only likes to play chess but he also likes to read comics.

Your sentence :
My friend not only likes to play chess, but also to read comics.
is understandable if you stress when you read it "to play chess" so that the listener will know that your "not only... but also" applies to the infinitive although it is placed before likes.

Re: Using not only/but also correctly from mohammad51, posted on 18-01-2024 at 01:02:38 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you very much dear teacher Gerondif

These examples you stated rightly get me the point

Once you put ( not only ) before the verb, you repeat the verb after ( but also )
And once you put ( not only ) after the verb you don't repeat the verb after ( but also)
Hence , the verb governs all the pattern followed
likes >> to play + to read
Good point and I agree with you

This lesson is quite easy but people changed it somehow not likely to be understood
Many ways or different ways they used

I noticed one publication of Florida University suggests both techniques
1. S + not only + verb OR 2. S + V + not only
However, some authors I read their books say " the first pattern is wrong"

My friend not only likes to play chess but also likes to read comics.

Re: Using not only/but also correctly from gerondif, posted on 18-01-2024 at 19:31:56 (D | E)
However, some authors I read their books say " the first pattern is wrong"
You probably meant :
However, some authors whose books I read say " the first pattern is wrong".

The more I read you, the less I understand which sentence you will eventually find correct.

Re: Using not only/but also correctly from mohammad51, posted on 19-01-2024 at 11:45:35 (D | E)
Hello
OK
You gave something I think off as a good point and I mentioned

Do we put "Not only" before the verb or after the verb ?

I mentioned at the beginning "if the main verb is a verb to be " it 100% goess after the verb.

2. Not only ( ordinary verb )

Ram not only built a temple but also a mosque. ( according to SC Gupta · 2018 :Comprehensive English Grammar & Composition - Page 169)
= wrong structure
Correct : Ram built not only a temple but also a mosque.
I agree with Gupta, because ( not only -but also ) must be put before the nouns, adjectives, adverbs, etc they focus on.

It is not only SC Gupta who adopts this idea but many authors else.

But others Americans or anywhere else people ( not authors ) in different countries use both ways.
Watson, I read on their page, they also use both ways. That's I want to say " There is not unique method ever"

( not only : before or after the verb ) it does not matter for them, and this is why I came and post.

Thank you anymore. I got from you many good ideas in the past and I admit that you helped me.
Best wishes

Re: Using not only/but also correctly from gerondif, posted on 19-01-2024 at 15:23:34 (D | E)
Hello
I agree with your Ram example.
As regards to be, it works like frequency adverbs. He is often late, he often arrives late.

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> NOS AUTRES SITES GRATUITS : Cours d'anglais | Cours mathématiques | Cours d'espagnol | Cours d'allemand | Cours de français | Outils utiles | Bac d'anglais | Learn French | Learn English | Créez des exercices

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice | Mentions légales / Vie privée | Cookies .
| Cours et exercices de néerlandais 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.